Fanny and Ethel worked in the same office, and, they were neighbours at home.
Fanny was rather a careless girl, and she often lost things. Then she usually went to Ethel to borrow more from her.
Ethel was a kind girl, but she sometimes got tired of lending things to her friend.
One Saturday afternoon Fanny knocked at Ethel’s front door, and when Ethel came to open it, Fanny said to her, ‘Oh, hullo, Ethel. Please lend me a bag. I’ve lost mine. I’m going to the shops, and I feel very stupid when I haven’t got anything in my hand when I go out in the street.’
Ethel laughed and answered, ‘Well, Fanny, go down to the end of the garden. You’ll find a nice wheelbarrow in the shed there. Take that when you go down to the shops. Then you’ll have something in both of your hands.’
Answer these questions
1. Why did Fanny often lose things?
2. Why did Ethel lend things to Fanny?
3. Why didn’t Fanny want to go to the shops without a bag?
4. Why didn’t Ethel lend her a bag?
5. What did she want Fanny to take to the shops?
6. Did Fanny take it, do you think?
Which of these sentences are true? Write the correct ones down
1. Ethel often borrowed things.
2. Fanny often borrowed things.
3. Ethel often lent things to Fanny.
4. Fanny often lent things to Ethel.
5. One day Ethel lost her bag.
6. One day Fanny lost her bag.
7. Fanny liked carrying something in her hand.
8. Fanny did not like carrying things.
9. There was a shed at the end of Ethel’s garden.
10. There was a shed at the end of Fanny’s garden.
Write this story, put down the words from the story in gaps
Ethel’s house is in a small t__________. It has a small g__________ at the back, and there is a s__________ in it. Ethel keeps her w__________ there. Ethel is a clever g__________. She works in a ______. This is Ethel. She is at the d__________ of her house. She has got a b__________ in her left h__________.
Because she is going to the s__________.