Writing Letters: Informal Style
Informal styleis used in letters to someone you are on friendly terms with.
The characteristics of informal style
- Dear Alex, Dear dad, Dear Lucy, Dear John
Opening remarks: asking about the friend’s well being, the latest news, commenting the received news, expressing gratitude for the letter received, apologizing for letter delay, mentioning the reason for writing:
- How are you?
- I thought I’d write and let you know that….
- The reason I’m writing is ….
- Sorry, I’ve taken so long to put pen to paper, but…
- I apologize for the fact that I haven’t written for…
- I have something special to tell you…
- Can you imagine…
Informal language and style:
- colloquial English
- omitting pronouns
- phrasal verbs
- direct addressing, etc.
Each paragraph starts with a topical sentence according to a subtopic of a paragraph.
Closing remarks: summary, reasons for completing a letter, expressing regards, wishes, requests not to delay the answer, etc.
- That’s all my news for now. Write back soon…
- Well, I’d better go and do some work!
- Once again, well done….
- Please, write me soon and tell me all your news.
- Well, that’s all my news. I’d better end now, because…
- Best wishes to…
- Give my best wishes to your parents
- Hope to hear from you soon
- I would be glad to hear from you soon
- Keep in touch
- Looking forward to your letter
- Lots of love
- Love / Regards
- My best regards
- My best regards to …
- Remember me to…
You have recently moved in a new flat / house. Write a letter to your friend, in which say
- where you moved recently
- what the house / flat is like inside
- how you feel after moving in a new accommodation
Hi! I have recently got your letter, in which you shared your great news. I am so happy that your dream of studying abroad has come true. How are you there in a new place? As for me, I’m fine and I would say even better than fine.
I am writing to share very good news with you. I have just moved into my new dream house. I’m so excited about this new chapter in my life that look forward to telling you as soon as possible.
First of all, I have to note that this new house is bigger than the one I used to live in, you know. It has three rooms overlooking the nearest park. It is situated in a very friendly neighborhood and I have already made new friends. The house inside is not in the best state, so, I can’t wait to start redecorating the house and I hope you could give me some pieces of advice since you know I’m not as good as you when it comes to art.
Oh! And did I tellyou that I bought a cat? It’s a hairless cat and it is only two months old. It is so sweet that youwill like it immediately.
As you understand, I feel excited and hopeful. It is so peaceful here, there is no traffic noise and I feel calm and can be concentrated on my study. There is so much to do here, but I amconfident I shall cope.
Well, I’d better go and do some work in my new house.
I hope you canvisit me soon! Hope you’ll write back soon.
Looking forward to your answer.
Best regards, your oldest friend