A Wise Young Man
A man get into a train and found himself sitting opposite a woman who seemed to be about thirty-five years old. Soon they began talking to each other, and he said to her, «Do you have a family?»
«Yes, I have one son,» the woman answered.
«Oh, really?» said the man. «Does he smoke?»
«No, he's never, touched a cigarette,» the woman replied.
«That's good,» the man continued. «I don't smoke either. Tobacco is very bad for one's health. And does your son drink wine?»
«Oh, no,» the woman answered at once, «he's never drunk a drop of it.»
«Then I congratulate you, ma'am,» the man said. «And does ever come home late at night?»
«No, never,» his neighbor answered. «He goes to bed immediately after dinner every night.»
«Well,» the man said, «he's a wise young man. How old is he?»
«He's six months old today,» the woman replied proudly.
From Stories, Tales and Songs — укладач О.І.Близнюк
- Did the woman on the train have a family?
- What three things did the man ask her about her son?
- What did she answer to all three questions?
- What did the man think about her answers?
- What was his last question?
- And what was her answer?
- How old do you think the man had expected the woman's son to be?