Difference: Join - Combine - Unite - Connect - Link
Join - conjunction of any degree of closeness.
- joined forces in an effort to win;
- joined wires to conduct electricity;
- the tap joined to a pipe;
- joined rivers;
- joined ends of the chain.
Combine - some mingling with corresponding loss of identity of each unit.
- combined jazz and rock to create a new music;
- combined nations;
- combined clubs;
- combined firms;
- combined chemicals;
- combined ingredients;
- combined groups;
- combined factors;
- combined products;
- combined activities.
Unite - bringing together with greater loss of separate identity.
- the colonies united to form a republic;
- united countries;
- united people;
- united allies.
Connect - external attachment with little or no loss of identity.
- a mutual defense treaty connected the two nations;
- connected electrodes;
- connected to the electricity supply;
- connected cables.
Link - strong connection with elements still retaining identity.
- a name forever linked with liberty;
- linked questions;
- link with the past.