Declining an Invitation to an Event Politely
You have been invited to attend an interview for a job vacancy. Unfortunately because of a previous appointment you cannot come at the time they wish.
Write a letter to the person-in-charge and explain your position. Apologize and offer to come on another day or later the same day.
You should write at least 100 words.
You do NOT need to write your own address. Begin your letter as follows:
Thank you very much, indeed, for your letter dated 15th June inviting me for an interview with your personnel recruiter for filling in a vacancy of a hotel manager on Friday 2nd July at 10am. I am awfully sorry but I am unable to come to an interview at the time mentioned because I have already tentatively agreed about the probation term in another company, which will last for two weeks.
I am still interested in the interview for a vacancy in your company. Could I possibly come in two-weeks’ time after the probation term. If it is impossible to shift a date of the interview forward, let me, please know.
I would also like to ask some things about the interview. I would like to know how long it will last and also whether I will be required to do any tests during it.
Once again I apologize for not being able to attend the interview at the time that you wanted and I hope I will be able to meet you at another time at the earliest convenience.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Ideas for writing a letter declining an invitation
• cancel an appointment with a doctor, etc
• decline a job offer
• decline an invitation to join a group of friends on a one day trip.
• decline an invitation for a birthday party of your relative/friend/colleague/business partner, etc.
• decline an invitation for lunch/ dinner, business lunch, etc.
• decline an invitation to join a group of friends for a sport occasion: to play football, tennis, basketball, to skate, to ski, etc
• decline an invitation to be a chief guest/a speaker/ a presenter on a special occasion: a performance, a seminar, a dispute, an anniversary, a lecture ,etc.
• decline a wedding invitation/ a wedding anniversary/engagement party (betrothal ceremony)invitation.
• decline an invitation to a significant social event: graduation party, school leaving party (prom),retirement party, inauguration day, etc
• decline an invitation to a personal social event: house warming party, a barbecue, camping together, sunbathing together, etc.
• decline an invitation to a significant business event: grand opening of a new business centre/ branch, partners’ meeting, conference, etc.
• decline an invitation to an outstanding show business/ mass media event: to be a chief guest of a TV show, Awards Ceremony, radio programme guest, etc.